We all love the magic of Halloween, from trick-or-treating to classroom parties and even the occasional trip to a haunted house. Even though Halloween can be fun and festive, it can take a turn for the worst. Take a look at this scary statistic: children are more than twice as likely to be hit by a car and killed on Halloween than any other day of the year.
Here are some Halloween safety tips to make sure your Halloween night stays safe and spooky for all the right reasons:
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on any trick-or-treating routes.
- Make sure you only travel in well-lit, familiar areas.
- When crossing the street, put those electronic devices down, keep your eyes and head up, and walk calmly across the street.
- Avoid masks, if possible, as they can obstruct vision.
- Consider fastening reflective tape to costumes and bags, or even give your children glow sticks for maximum visibility.
- All costumes, wigs, and accessories should be fire-resistant.
- If you are driving, watch children walking on roadways, medians, curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways with a watchful eye.
- If you are driving at twilight or later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
- Try not to let new, beginner drivers drive on Halloween.
Here is a final tip from the team at A+ Japanese Auto Repair -- you want each component of your car, from brakes to headlights, to be working quickly and accurately, especially if you are driving on Halloween night. Bring your vehicle to our facility for an inspection. Schedule an appointment today for auto repair and preventative maintenance. We are conveniently located at 780 Industrial Road, San Carlos, CA 94070.